You know when ingredients come together and it’s, dare I say, a perfect dish? No? Neither do I, but I suspect that for some people who love to cook, like my wife, that it happens from time to time. That’s what I think of my wife’s The Perfect Marriage Chicken Alfredo Lasagna. It. is. so. damn. good. That said, it’s definitely not a dish for those of us trying to watch our caloric intake. It doesn’t mean that we can’t cheat once in a while though, amirite?
This lasagna is loaded with chicken, spinach, Portobello mushrooms, and three cheeses! It’s also drenched in a generous amount of Alfredo sauce. It’s a high calorie meal, and it’s also a bit pricier to make than your basic meat and tomato sauce lasagna. My wife’s The Perfect Marriage Chicken Alfredo Lasagna can be made with more cost effective ingredients with a few substitutions!
Replace the ricotta with cottage cheese, or substitute white button mushrooms for the Portobello mushrooms we used. We also used a large bunch of fresh spinach in this recipe, but you could easily substitute by using frozen spinach. Finally, this recipe used skinless, boneless chicken breast. If you’re proficient with a knife, you can buy the less expensive bone-in/skin-on chicken breasts, or just use chicken thighs for this recipe. Those few tweaks should ensure that this lasagna is budget-friendly for most everyone, but if you really want a special treat, we suggest using the higher-end ingredients we’ve indicated below.
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 large bunch of spinach, wilted
- 1 tub (475g) ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 jars (410 ml) Alfredo sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper
- 1 box of oven-ready Lasagna noodles or make your own!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium pot, heat up Alfredo sauce. Once heated, reduce to low and keep warm.
- In a large and slightly oiled frying pan, sauté mushrooms. Season to taste. Remove from pan and set aside. Wilt spinach in steamer. Add to mushrooms and combine.
- Next, lightly oil a frying pan. Over medium heat, cook cubed chicken. Add a bit of seasoning to suit your taste. Once chicken is about half way done cooking, add in onions and garlic. Continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and onions are translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Lightly grease lasagna pan with olive oil. Coat the bottom of the lasagna pan with Alfredo sauce. Place single layer of lasagna noodles on top of sauce, leaving space between (the noodles expand during cooking). Add more sauce to coat the bottom noodles. Spread the cheese mixture on top of bottom noodles. Repeat single layer of lasagna noodles on top of cheese layer. Repeat coating noodles with sauce. Next, layer chicken-onion-garlic mixture. Top with single layer of noodles. Add more sauce. Finally, spread mushroom/spinach mixture evenly across noodles. Top with another single layer of noodles and sauce. Now heap on the rest of the mozza, cover and bake for 40 minutes. Remove cover and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before cutting and serving.