This wasn’t supposed to be the next post we published, but well-intentioned posting schedules not coming to fruition seems to be the plight of the food blogger. That’s one of those lessons we’ve learned over the last year that we were supposed to be telling you about in this post. For now, that post is still resting in the proofing drawer. We’ll serve it up at some point in the future… maybe… possibly. Did we mention the second lesson we wanted to share: avoid making promises to your audience 😉
So, today we don’t have that epic post about how to start a food blog, but what we do have for you is something even more delicious. It’s a meaty recipe perfect for every type of meet up you have going on this summer. We’re calling it: Meat Up! Cream Cheese Stuffed Meatballs.
This is another recipe adapted from one of Mae’s mom’s recipes. These cream cheese stuffed meatballs were another of her mom’s most requested dishes. Mae adapted this recipe to serve even more people, or to make ahead and freeze for quick and versatile go-to leftovers. Since they freeze well, they’re a fantastic big batch meal to make that can be used in a variety of fun meals throughout the month, like: spaghetti and meatballs, meatball subs, meatball appetizers, or meatballs and gravy over rice. Those are just some of the ways that we’ve used these tasty balls throughout the month. They’re great on their own or slathered in a creamy mushroom sauce (which is how my mother-in-law traditionally serves them).
Here’s a handy tip when making these balls: ensure the cream cheese is chilled well (you do not want room temperature cream cheese). Cube the cream cheese prior to making the meatball mix. We recommend ½ inch – 1 inch cubes, depending on how big you decide to make your balls. Just remember that bigger balls means a longer cooking time. And, trust us about the chilled cream cheese. It’s much easier to work with and the last thing you want is all that delicious creamy cheese escaping from the center of the meatballs.
Here’s what you’ll need to make my wife’s Meat Up! Cream Cheese Stuffed Meatballs:
- Olive oil or butter for sautéing
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1400 g extra lean ground beef
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup finely ground bread crumbs
- 1 tsp rosemary, ground in pestle & mortar
- 1 tsp finely ground sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Worchester sauce
- 250 g cream cheese, chilled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- Heat oil over medium/high heat and sauté onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Remove from heat and set aside. Allow to cool.
- In large mixing bowl, add all ingredients – except cream cheese. Gently, mix with hands until thoroughly incorporated.
- Take approximately 1 tablespoon of meat mixture and roll into ball.
- Flatten and add one piece of chilled, cubed cream cheese to center.
- Fold meat over and gently re-roll into ball shape.
- Repeat process until you’ve used up all (or most) ingredients.
- Fry over medium high heat, turning meatballs gently to evenly brown entire surface.
- Once browned, place in oven proof dish, cover and finish cooking at 350 degrees for approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favourite sauce, or on their own. Freezes well.
Makes approximately 30 meatballs (depending on size rolled). We made ours a bit bigger than we’ve recommended here, so you may find you get more than we did!
Hope the freezer has some room.
Gregg & Mae
P.S. Don’t worry, we didn’t forget the mushroom gravy recipe. You can find that here.